Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Atonement

Director: Joe Wright
Cast: James McAvoy, Keira Knightley, Romola Garai, Brenda Blethyn

Let me say it up front: I haven’t read the book, and I just don’t get the hype. Don’t get me wrong: there’s no question this is an above-average film. There’s some really superb camera work, most memorably an extraordinary one-shot that situates us in the chaos of the Dunkerque evacuation.

I also loved some of the narrative devices at the beginning — scenes are retold from different characters’ perspectives, establishing an irony that pays off later on.

Moreover, there are the solid performances you’d expect from this cast, and even some pleasant surprises (especially from the various incarnations of Briony). There's some exquisite costuming, a value-adding score and extremely clever soundtrack, and some very tense set-pieces.

But the whole didn't hang together for me. I think this is primarily because I just didn't believe enough in the lovers , Robbie and Cecilia (McAvoy and Knightley). Attractive and charismatic as both these actors can be, I just didn't know enough about their characters’ history to feel acutely the pain of their separation.

Once again I’ll fly in the face of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association®, and declare it to be a film worth watching, but not this year’s best drama!

No comments: